Transportation Litigation & Compliance
Jay Starrett is a shareholder in the Milwaukee office of Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek S.C. He brings considerable litigation experience in numerous areas including transportation law, product liability and construction defect defense to the firm. His broad dispute resolution experience includes all phases of pre-trial, trial, alternative dispute resolution and appellate practice. He has represented clients, and conducted numerous jury trials, in both State and Federal Court.
Mr. Starrett has extensive experience defending professional malpractice claims, including legal malpractice, architectural/engineering malpractice and accounting malpractice.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1987
- University of Wisconsin, B.A., 1983
Awards & Distinctions
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation (2013)
- Acted as National Coordinating Counsel for one of the largest trucking companies in the United States, which included active handling of high exposure claims throughout the country.
- Been chosen as panel counsel both regionally and for the State of Wisconsin, by numerous trucking companies, third party administrators and insurance companies.
- Has tried over 25 transportation cases to verdict in both state and federal courts.
- As a member of the Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), has lectured at national conferences (1998, 2000 and 2005), and acted as seminar co-chair (2002 and 2003) for the national conference, and serves on the Board of Directors (2003 to present).
- Has been an active member of the ABA Trucking Law Section, and most recently presented on trial tactics at the 2009 national Megaconference.
- Successfully defended product manufacturers, in both State and Federal Court, involving numerous types of products.
- Defended numerous construction defect claims, as well as legal, accounting, real estate, and architectural malpractice claims.
- Assisted clients in resolving catastrophic claims with creative techniques including sophisticated jury focus groups and various forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Co-authored the Wrongful Death chapter of the Wisconsin State Bar Treatise Law of Damages.
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Defense Research Institute, Products Liability Committee
- Defense Research Institute, State liaison for the Trial Tactics Committee
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (T.I.D.A.), Board of Directors